To begin with, who is a successful person? How does one define success? Someone who is rich and
famous; a well-known business tycoon; a politician; perhaps someone who has multiple degrees. The list
can go on. What may seem like an achievement to one, may seem otherwise to another.
Apart from human factors, environment also plays a key role in helping a person achieve and this may not be the
same for everyone. Success is, therefore, a highly subjective term.
If one comes to wonder about what makes these people successful, the answers to it as stated can also
get individualistic. It differs from person to person as the area of achievement could be varied.
But despite the differences, there thankfully seem to be a few patterns that are common among the highly achieved. These could be classified as habits, values etc. It is important to understand these factors or
patterns, as they help us in figuring those commonalities that pushed the achievers and the success in
building what they are and keep them going
To get a peek into these common factors, let us begin with understanding the few values that have
acted as a foundation to their achievement.
1. Determination/Will/Drive – numerous terms to describe the same. Unless, one is determined
about his/her goal, it is difficult to stick to the routine and the path
2. Growth Mindset – the desire to learn and embrace challenge is important. Most importantly,
persistent, when things are especially going down-hill
3. Accountability – each person is accountable or responsible for their own actions. Blame is the
best way to get side-tracked
4. Patience – nothing grows overnight. Transition and transformation takes time and therefore,
requires the virtue of patience
5. Integrity – honesty, strong moral principles, sincerity, truthfulness. The description is self-
explanatory. One cannot expect to move in the right direction unless he/she stands by the right
6. Compassion – relating to another human being and in an empathetic manner are values that
have stood the test of time and followed by all great leaders
7. Authenticity – success is about being the best of oneself and not imitating another successful
person or one’s idol. Values, traits and habits can be picked, but end of the day, we can only be
best by being yourself
8. Open-mindedness – to be accepting of things as they are without judgment and learn from
criticism instead of being bogged down
9. Humility – staying grounded no matter what and not letting emotions such as pride take over in
the light of achievement
10. Resilience – the ability to persist in the times of setbacks and to rise above, beyond facing
failure. Failure in this case, has to be viewed as an opportunity and not as condemnation
We, at Samsidh, have therefore also adopted the above as ‘Values’ that drive our institution and model
our students. The school ensures that the values are inculcated in the curriculum and all the day-to-day
activities of the students, to maximum extent possible. The values are deeply integrated through our
Life-Skills classes. Students are engaged in role-plays, team games where they inculcate the skills of
communication, accepting differences, listening, empathy, decision making, problem solving, critical-
thinking and as on. Similar such skills and values are incorporated in the extra-curricular clubs such as
sports, literary, photography, environment, cookery club etc. The various intra and inter-house
competitions help develop leadership, team spirit, and competitive spirit, essential for growth and
success of an individual.
For more information, visit the school website - http://www.samsidhmlzs.com/ and schedule a visit to
any of the centers, online.