Most of us have noticed infants smiling - apparently to themselves - in their sleep and wondered about it. Finally, my grandmother, a pious and upright lady solved the mystery for me.
“They are in conversation with God,” my granny said softly. Now, I respected the dear old lady enormously. She was known to be traditional in her ways, but completely free of prejudice and totally modern in her outlook. She was our family matriarch and our guiding spirit.
I waited for her to burst out laughing for having pulled out a fast one on me. I looked her in the eye for a twinkle that might give away her real intentions. There was none.
For some reason, she fell silent without attempting to shed more light on the matter nor did I press her for further explanations.
I never stopped thinking about what she said, and it was years later it struck me what she meant - we are born godlike, and it is external influences that corrupt us and convert us into individuals with our share of faults and imperfections.
Children’s contribution to humanity is a masterclass in hope, tolerance, sharing and loving that needs to be emulated by others.
- Seeing hope: Life depends on hope for it sustenance, Without hope, there is no life. In children, we find hope that spurs us to do good things.
- Being tolerant: Tolerance is key to our progress. Let us learn it from our children.
- Ignoring differences: Children neither notice nor care for the colour of skin or something as trivial, until it is pointed out to them by adults.
- Sharing with others: Haven’t we seen little children going around and offering to share their chocolate with others?
- Loving unconditionally: Unconditional service, love, and commitment are the need of the hour for humanity. Our children show us the way.
There is plenty adults can learn from children - the closest one can come to experiencing divinity on this earth. The future of humanity depends on inculcating these values to lead a peaceful life full of harmony, spirit of coexistence and respect and concern for others.
Children lead the way for the better future of humanity. It is time for the rest of us to follow their path. Therein lies the hope for humanity.